12 November 2007

Holy Cow!

It's been almost a month since I wrote anything!  I've been very very busy, and I think that the hectic pace is here to stay.  School has been keeping me incredibly busy and stressed out and the spousal unit was away for 10 days.  He was on what is called a 'fini' flight....his last military mission.  He got a sweet trip for it too, he went to Hawaii for those 10 days.  They flew shuttles between the islands for the Marines, but still...

While he was gone, I hardly ever sat down.  Honestly.  There were things going on with the kids every day, and because I didn't have anything else to do Saturday mornings, I signed the older two boys up for indoor soccer.  They really seem to love it so far....and it is so cute to watch little kids play soccer!  Seth's team is older and a little more experienced; it's more competitive.  Lucas's teammates are younger but most everyone has played soccer before.  My kids have not, but they are learning quickly.  

Well, I had parent teacher conferences last week too, and after discussing it with his teacher, we are looking into evaluating Seth for ADD/ADHD.   He just isn't outgrowing the behaviors that make it hard for him to settle down and focus on his work....he cannot sit still at his desk or at the dinner table.  I don't want to label him and drug him; more than one doctor or professional is going to have to work to convince me of that.  But I know something isn't quite right.  I think Seth is incredibly bright; his troubles aren't academic.  His teacher agrees that he is a very bright little boy.  But socially he's awkward, a little bit, and he's just so off into what is going on inside his head, that he is oblivious to what is going on around him, in the real world. I've ordered a book recommended by a friend, called "The Einstein Syndrome" to see what it says.  He matches the description of the children the author talks about....late talker, late potty trainer, very intelligent, very strong willed....I just want to see what it says.  I want to educate myself and be a good advocate for my son.  If he is ADD/ADHD, I just want to get him whatever help he needs to succeed.  And if he isn't, or if I am not convinced that he is, I need to be able to advocate for him and work to find alternate solutions to the challenges he is creating for his teacher and for himself.  
 
That is part of the reason I signed him up for soccer.  He said he wanted to play, but I also thought it would be good for him to do something physical, and to give him one more thing to have in common with the other kids in his class.  The other boys on the team are all in his class, and I wonder how much he really has in common with them.  He is always the kid who is playing by himself at recess because he doesn't like football.  It makes me sad to think of him being sort of a loner....I don't think he is necessarily an outcast, but I think he separates himself from the group.  

A lot of that is probably my own insecurity.   I was a social misfit in school and I don't want to see my kids suffer the same fate.   So, he is to be observed by the school psychologist and we go from there.  We also have a consult set up with the ped, and we just see what happens.  

Matt and I didn't exactly see eye to eye while he was away either.  There are lots of reasons for it, but in ten days, he called three times.  It's just one of those things when some days are better than others.  We have our issues certainly, like any other couple that has been together for any real length of time.  I didn't want to ruin his last trip by calling or emailing to pick fights, which is how I think he would have seen it, but I was really mad that he was too busy hanging out with his crew, scuba diving and sightseeing to call his family.  He told the boys he would call them every day and I think they talked maybe twice.  He is back home now and it seems that there is something unsaid.  Like maybe there is something we should talk about but neither of us wants to be the first to say, "We should talk."  

I have a habit of reading way too much into things, so I could very likely be way out in left field.  It wouldn't be the first time. 

I've taken the day off from school but tomorrow I've got to hit it hard again.  Finals are in three weeks and I can hardly wait.  I still have some other stuff to do in the meantime also.  I'm barely keeping my head above water, but I'm sure trying!  Lord, please help me through these last few weeks of school!  I'll have almost a month off for the holidays so when winter quarter rolls around, I'll be more ready.  I think.  

No comments: