30 April 2008

It's the little things in life.....

Not a huge amount of stuff to write, but I did have a great thing happen today. My friend Kim, whose son is in Seth's class (they've played together quite a few times) and who does recess monitor duty a lot, stopped me today to tell me that Seth has been playing kickball at recess with the other 2nd grade boys.

Now, you may ask yourself, why is that so great? Well, I'm glad you asked :)

Seth is the type of kid who wants friends and wants to play with other kids, but doesn't always know how to ask. For the last couple of school years, he's played mostly by himself at recess, because he hasn't been into the sports like most of the other boys. He's into Pokemon or some elaborate game he has concocted in his head, that nobody else understands, nor do they really want to. But for him to be included by the other boys, and for him to want to play kickball, is a major advance in his socialization. It may be a fluke and he may be back to playing by himself next week. But I will take it! Baby steps....

It's something to report in our group this week, if nothing else. And this afternoon, I took him to school for the First Communion pics and it just warmed my heart to see him horsing around with a group of boys, just like a normal kid. See? Labeling is SUCH a bad thing....it's even got me thinking he's not normal. But....I guess he isn't, is he?

Blah. Anyway, I had an incredibly busy but good day. Now I need to go start another book for class, and think some more about this paper I have to write that is getting scarier by the minute.

No comments: