03 November 2008

You know....

tomorrow is election day. I m optimistic but I am also a realist. I believe the race is going to be closer than people think, in the end, but I am hopeful that Barack Obama is not our next president. I don't really put too much stock in polls. People say one thing and do another all the time. People don't want to be seen as racist so they will pretend to support Obama when they are really undecided or if they just don't like him for whatever reason.

I can admit when I am wrong. It's difficult but I can do it. If Obama gets elected, and proves me wrong in what I believe he is all about, in what his plans are for this country, I will be the first to admit it. I am well aware that there is a very good chance he may be the next President, but it's not a done deal yet. I am, however, a little afraid of the reaction of some groups of people if their candidate is not the winner. Passions have run really high in this election, and people are less inhibited about letting their passions rule their actions.

Speaking of being able to admit when I am wrong, I'll admit that I was starstruck by Sarah Palin. I am less excited about her than I was when she first burst onto the political scene, but I still think she is a damn sight better than Joe Biden. Joe Biden needs to go back to high-school sophomore year History class, and learn a few things before he spouts off. Yeah, he's got all this experience and is considered a subject matter expert on foreign policy but he's been wrong on most of it. Sarah Palin is a politician. I got so excited about her because she is someone who could be your kid's best friend's mom. She might be in the next pew at your church. She might be the woman you struck up a conversation with in line at Target. She seems very down to earth, very accessible, and it's a nice change from elitist politicians who don't drive themselves to Starbucks, let alone drive themselves to work every day. Yes, of course the leader of the free world needs to be more sophisticated and educated and experienced than the average mom at Target. But that is the beauty of being VICE President. Yeah, in theory, she needs to be able to step up to the plate at any given moment. But it hasn't happened that often in history that the VP had to take over, and in the meantime, she has the invaluable opportunity to learn at the President's right hand.

Like her or not, you have to admit she is a politician, a good one, and a quick study. She may not have the years of experience (neither does Obama) but she does have the intestinal fortitude to step up and get things done. And neocon rightwing nutjob that I am, I agree with many of her conservative ideals.

Anyway, I would MUCH rather have John McCain as my Commander in Chief than Barack Obama. If Obama becomes the President, I will watch and listen carefully, and I will respect the office just like I did when Bill Clinton was President and I was wearing the uniform. It isn't wise to be a one-issue voter, and I don't think I am, but it's tough not to view politics through the lens of military service. It's part of who I am, and I can't separate it.

A note about third party candidates. I like Bob Barr, and I agree with much of what he says he stands for. But he, frankly, hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of winning. I've been wrestling with the question of whether I vote my conscience or do I vote against Obama. Sadly, for me, this election has come down to the choice of who I dislike the least. I have a healthy dislike for Obama, so I guess I'm not voting for him. I like McCain better, but I don't love him. I like Bob Barr the best, I think, but until third parties get a better foothold in this country, to vote for one is purely symbolic, since there's so little chance of a third party victory. I dislike Obama enough that I am not willing to simply make a statement this time around. I want my vote to mean something, and what I want it to say is, I don't want Barack Obama to be President.

No comments: